SRI SWAMI SIVANANDA
A DIVINE LIFE SOCIETY PUBLICATION
World Wide Web (WWW) Edition : 1999
WWW site: http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/
This WWW reprint is for free distribution
© The Divine Life Trust Society
THE DIVINE LIFE SOCIETY
P.O. Shivanandanagar249 192
Distt. Tehri-Garhwal, Uttar Pradesh,
- Publishers’ Note
- One Truth
- Aphorisms Of Sivananda
- The Breath Of The Eternal
- Real Religion
- Unto The Imperishable
- Light That Reveals Bliss
- The Yoga Of Love
- Wisdom Sparks
- Spiritual Experiences
- Meditate On Twelve Virtues
- Voice Of Siva
- My Mission
- Twenty Spiritual Sparks
- Distinct Features Of Self-Culture
- Twenty Sweetest Drops From “Ambrosia”
- Sparks Of Intuition
- Cheer Up, O Friend!
H.H. Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj is renowned, not only for the versatile and prolific output of literature on spiritual topics, but also because of his lucid, succinct and direct way of presenting them. In countless hearts he has kindled the light of spiritual aspiration; in numerous minds he has effected the dawn of divine illumination. He has done so, among other means, through his never-ceasing flow of publications.
Thus Awakens Swami Sivananda is a pocket-treasure, every sentence of which charges the reader with a wave of spiritual exhilaration, giving him a flash of divine awakening, however momentary it might be. Constant study of this booklet, meditation on the truths embodied in it and flowering them in one’s practical life, will surely make one a divine being on earth.
THE DIVINE LIFE SOC1ETY
There is only one Caste—
The Caste of HUMANITY.
There is only one Religion—
The Religion of LOVE.
There is only one Commandment—
The Commandment of TRUTHFULNESS.
There is only one Law—
The Law of CAUSE and EFFECT.
There is only one God—
The Omnipresent, Omnipotent, Omniscient Lord.
There is only one Language—
The Language of HEART or the Language of SILENCE.
Aphorisms Of Sivananda
1. Life is meant to attain God.
2. Service of man is worship of God.
3. God is peace. God is Bliss. God is Light.
4. Work is worship. Dedicate your actions to God.
5. Control senses. Control mind. Be truthful. Be pure.
6. Serve the sick. Serve the poor. Serve all Beings.
7. Never hurt other’s feelings. Bear insult and injury. Forgive. Be kind.
8. Thou art Ever Free Immortal Soul or Atman.
The Breath Of The Eternal
1. The Upanishads are the breath of the Eternal.
2. The Eternal Voice speaks within the core of your heart. Wake up! Thou art the Immortal, all-blissful Spirit. ‘Tat Twam Asi’.
3. Awake! Arise! O Man! You are a pilgrim on the path of Truth. You are Divine. Find the way back to your spiritual abode of eternal bliss.
4. Hold fast to that which ever endures.
5. Look not outside for light, peace, joy and bliss but look within.
6. Truth must be discovered in the depth of your own being.
7. Your life is incomplete without spiritual Consciousness.
8. Your life is barren without righteousness, renunciation, meditation and self-realisation.
9. A desireless man becomes immortal.
10. To have God is to have the entire world.
11. Without Atman or the Self there is no life.
12. Come then. Tarry not. Falter not. March onward, forward, and Godward. Your goal is to realise the forgotten oneness with God.
13. The foundation of spiritual life is self-control. Ever lead a life of righteousness or Dharma.
1. Real religion is living, not speaking or showing
2. Real religion is the awareness of the essential Divinity of Man.
3. Real religion is the religion of the heart. The heart must be purified first.
4. Truth, love and purity are the basis of real religion.
5. By the pure in heart is this Atman known.
6. Righteousness is man’s best acquisition. It is his happiness.
7. Love alone will triumph, because hate destroys.
8. Give. Learn to give. Give in plenty. Give with love. Give without expectation of fruits.
9. To live is to create and to create is living.
10. Selfishness and spirituality can never live together.
11. Reform is not external change. It is the internal change in man which only comes through developing spiritual outlook.
12. If there is no spiritual outlook, social and political reforms are mere mockery.
13. Moksha is the life in the eternal. It is freedom from egoism, attachment, fear, lust, birth and death.
14. Doubt not. Doubts delay. Om is unto me, the joy and the rejoicing of my heart.
15. Meditation gradually offers you the eternal light and intuition.
16. With the mind illumined by the power of meditation know Brahman, the Immortal, attain HIM, O My Friend, the one Goal to be attained.
Unto The Imperishable
1. The Imperishable is the Real or Brahman.
2. To become one with Brahman is Wisdom.
3. Brahman sees all, knows all. He is wisdom Itself.
4. To know Brahman hidden in the lotus of the heart is to untie the knot of ignorance.
5. God or Brahman is your dearest and nearest.
The Meaning of Life
6. Life is the greatest gift of God.
7. Life is service; Life is duty.
8. Time is life.
9. Life moves on the happy wings of hope.
10. Vice is a canker that eats into the vitals of life.
The Wings of Wisdom
11. Righteousness is the rule of life.
12. Righteousness is its own reward.
13. Righteousness is the highest of riches.
14. Humility sheds effulgence on the greatness of man.
15. The path of honesty is straight and smooth.
16. Truth is the supermost virtue.
17. Be contented with what you have but be discontented with what you are.
18. Prayer is the heavenward soaring of the soul on the wings of faith and devotion.
19. Faith reasons not, but believes and enters the Divine realm fearlessly.
20. That which separates man from God is mind.
Light That Reveals Bliss
1. What never changes at any time is the Knowing-Consciousness within.
2. Consciousness is Infinite, and being above time is Immortal. This alone can be the truth.
3. To know the Self or Atman is to be free.
4. Through Knowledge of Brahman comes power, victory over death, immortality and everlasting bliss.
5. In truth, there is no atheist in this world. Everybody wants happiness. Everyone tries to get happiness. Happiness is God.
6. This world is not chaos. It is an organised, divine institution.
7. A knowledge of the true life is philosophy.
8. To have triumph over the mind and lower nature is the greatest culture or civilisation.
9. Matter should not rule life, but life should rule matter.
10. You make your life, your world, by your own thought.
11. The body is objectified thought. It is objectified Will.
12. There is nothing in this world which one may not attain by right exertion.
13. Peace should be found at home first, and in the heart of man, and then let him talk of world peace.
14. Unity should be found at home first and then let them talk of world unity.
15. Behaviour is a basis for inferring about the inner consciousness of man.
16. A Guru exerts his influence on his student by his teachings, example, thought, touch and graceful look.
The Yoga Of Love
1. Love and truth are the corner-stones of the teachings of saints and of every religion.
2. Love is indeed the life of the soul.
3. He who feels as his own, the joys and sorrows of others is a true Yogi.
4. A seeker of Truth must possess faith, hope, courage, dispassion and self-restraint and burning aspiration.
5. Do not perform any action which your own heart feels shame to do.
6. What your heart feels no shame to do, what satisfies your conscience, is indeed righteous action.
7. Renunciation is renunciation of the ego, of selfishness and desires; but not of life.
8. Immortality is union with God or Brahman.
9. The end of wisdom is to realise the identity of the individual soul and the Supreme Soul or Brahman.
10. Brahman or the Eternal is the end of the Journey. He is the Supreme Goal.
1. Wash the mind with the water of Lord’s Name and clean it of the dirt of hatred, anger and jealousy.
2. God is spirit. God is love. He is the very source of all.
3. God is the remover of all misery and sorrow.
4. Whatever you see is God. Whatever you hear is God.
5. The Lord dwells even in a single leaf, or in a blade of grass or in a drop of water.
6. God sees all that passes in every heart.
7. God reveals Himself to those who are humble, simple and pure.
8. Cultivate peace in the garden of your heart by removing the weeds of lust, hatred, greed and selfishness.
9. Follow the instructions of your master and the teachings of the scriptures to the very letter.
10. Do not fight for rights. Think more of your duty and less about your rights.
11. Worry does great harm to the body and the mind.
12. Resign yourself completely to the will of God.
13. Give up all sorts of fear, cares, worries and anxieties.
14. Pray to the Almighty for help and guidance. Thirst for His grace.
Think what is good, speak what is good, do what is good. You will soon enter the kingdom of Immortal Bliss.
Do not waste this Human life, stand not ashore watching the waves of worldliness to subside for a bath of spiritual bliss.
The formula for success is D plus E plus F. D is discrimination, E is exertion and F is faith.
A woman without chastity is like a chariot without wheels or a Veena without strings.
The world will exist only if people become moral and spiritual.
Life without lust, egoism, greed, anger and pride is itself divine life.
Kirtan is the easiest, cheapest, quickest, surest, safest way to attain God-realisation.
Do not complain that there is no time for Sadhana. Reduce sleep and tall talk. Get up at 4 a.m.
No progress in the spiritual path is possible without the grace of the Guru.
Guru is the place of pilgrimage. Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, Parvathi, Indra, all Devas and sacred rivers are in Him.
Your money belongs to the Lord. You have no business to keep more than what you need.
Within you is hidden God. Within you is the fountain of joy. Within you is the ocean of bliss.
The entrance into the higher meditative life depends upon the grace of God.
The higher meditative life demands tremendous humility, serenity and courage.
In higher meditative life the senses and the mind are completely subdued. There is no more use of the mind, emotions and imaginations.
In higher meditation the Yogi withdraws himself completely and enters into the state of consciousness above the mind and intellect. He is conscious only of Pure Being.
In Samadhi or the superconscious state the Yogi abandons the sense of his own being and enters into the Being of God.
Spiritual experience will come to you when you are ready, but not before.
There is inner unfolding from level to level in your spiritual experience. Wait patiently. Plod on in your Sadhana with purity and courage.
Like draws like on your spiritual journey. You are never really left alone. You will get help from Yogis and Saints internally, from different parts of the world. Their spiritual vibrations will elevate and inspire you.
Meditate and enter into the realm of radiant light. There are no limitations; here there is no worry, there are no obstacles.
There is no time or space. In that holy realm there is no fear, no doubt, no indecision. It is all eternal joy, bliss, peace and happiness.
Morality is the gateway to religion.
Morality is the gateway to bliss immortal.
The aim of morality is to raise man to the level of divinity by transforming his own nature.
Be good; do good. This is the essence of morality.
It is immoral to drink liquor.
It is immoral to hurt others.
It is immoral to give way to anger.
It is immoral to tell lies or deceive others.
It is immoral to entertain lustful thoughts.
It is immoral to hate or cavil others.
It is immoral to burst out in anger.
Virtue is the root of happiness; therefore be virtuous.
Virtue will open the gates of immortality to receive you.
Virtue has divinity behind it; wherever is divinity there is virtue.
Virtue does not come from money; but every good of man comes from virtue.
Humility in January.
Meditate On Twelve Virtues
Frankness in February.
Courage in March.
Mercy in May.
Magnanimity in June.
Sincerity in July.
Pure love in August.
Generosity in September.
Forgiveness in October.
Balanced mind in November.
Contentment in December.
Voice Of Siva
Think truly. Speak truly. Live truly. Act truly.
To be pure, to be spiritual, is to be true.
Truthfulness is the first pillar in the temple of the Lord.
Practice of truth will gradually transform your life.
Truth is the bestower of immortality and bliss divine.
Being truthful means stating a thing as it is or expressing a thing as it is.
Truth denotes the practising of all the divine virtues.
If you want quick progress in the spiritual life, if you are to attain God realisation, then adhere to truth without any selfish consideration.
Truth is the very core and essence of the law of God, which is the foundation of all spiritual practices and divine life.
I organise medical missions of relief as means of promoting the spirituality of Universal brotherhood and peace.
I organise moral missions to directly preach the gospel of Universal fellowship and the fundamental unity of mankind. This also will promote world peace. There will be cultural conquest or triumph of truth through Dharma or righteousness.
I do not believe in the military conquest, achieved by force and violence. I believe in moral conquest, conquest of hearts, conquest by love and establishing the spiritual empire of righteousness, without any geographical and national frontiers.
The Divine Life Society branches, the Divine Life members and the Divine Life Conferences are doing wonderful work towards the establishment of Universal brotherhood, world peace and Universal Atmanhood.
My work is to rouse the religious consciousness, the awareness of the essential divinity of man.
I have laid great emphasis in all my writings upon the discipline of the outgoing senses, conquest of the mind, purification of the heart and attainment of inner peace and strength.
I have appeared in this age to indicate the way unto men. The way is: simplify your life, purify your heart. Slay egoism, and pride, cultivate cosmic love, practise self-discipline. Serve all. Love all. Hear, reflect, meditate. Enquire and know Thyself. Live in the Eternal.
Twenty Spiritual Sparks
1. I follow the religion of love.
2. I am a true Christian, a true Musalman, a true Hindu, a true Buddhist, a true Sikh and a true Parsi.
3. I can come nearer to you, but you must draw me by a purified heart and a strong, pure will.
4. No religion has monopoly over Truth or God. Each has a particular feature which it specially treasures, but there are also essential aspects common to all.
5. All prophets have only delivered and proclaimed in different languages the same principles of Eternal Goodness and Eternal Truth.
6. The lovers of God have no religion, but God alone.
7. Religion is essentially the art and the theory of the remaking of man. Man is not a finished creation.
8. Man is spiritually impoverished. He has the need for religion. And there is a need for co-operation among religions.
9. Man’s pilgrimage through the many to the one is the most sacred pilgrimage. His pilgrimage is his journey through sorrow and pain to the goal of bliss in God.
10. Money can help you to get medicines but not health. Money can help you to get soft pillows, but not sound sleep. Money can help you to get material comforts, but not eternal bliss. Money can help you to get ornaments, but not beauty. Money will help you to get an electric earphone, but not natural hearing. Attain the supreme wealth wisdom, you will have everything.
11. Pain and death exist. Their ultimate cause is ignorance. Their cure is knowledge of Brahman or experience of the eternal bliss of the Supreme Self.
12. One need not necessarily or always have to wait for another birth to enjoy the fruits of present Karmas. According to the demerit of the Karmas one can experience their fruits within years, months, weeks, or days.
13. Ethics and spiritual practices open the door to Truth or the spirit.
14. Let your service be free from the taint of seeking recognition, power or position. Let your motive be altruistic.
15. Sacrifice means an act directed to the welfare of all life without receiving or desiring a return for it, either of a temporal or spiritual nature.
16. Cultivate cosmic love. Cultivate divine love. It will finally merge in the ocean of beauty, Truth and Bliss.
17. Endeavour enables man to endure and endurance stimulates his endeavour.
18. Purification, illumination, unification, perfection and liberation are the stages in the spiritual path.
19. Samadhi is seeing things as a whole as one.
20. Swim in the ocean of spiritual awareness. Enjoy the stupendous stillness of God-consciousness. Plunge in the river of eternal life. Behold the eternal light of Divine Beauty.
Distinct Features Of Self-Culture
1. Culture is the blossoming of the spiritual Consciousness.
2. Culture is that which is related to the Good, which springs from the good and also promotes the good.
3. Goodness of being and doing constitutes the rock bottom of one’s life.
4. The gospel of life is a gospel of non-attachment, of the immortality of the soul, of the ultimate liberation of the soul.
5. Truth is the basic law of life. Truth is a means and the goal ultimate.
6. Truth is justice, fairplay and adherence to the fundamental laws of ethics of right conduct.
7. Truth is the law of life; falsehood is the law of death.
8. Practice of truth is the greatest penance.
9. Truth is the law of unselfish love for the individual and the world alike.
10. Truth and love do not clash with each other.
11. Love is the greatest healing power in the world.
12. Love is the law of life.
13. Love can hope where reason would despair.
14. Love thinks of no evil, asks nothing for itself in return, imputes no motive and sees only the bright side.
15. Love is selfless service, mercy, compassion, fellowship, helpfulness, understanding, tolerance and good-will.
16. Self-sacrifice, charity, and asceticism are the very bases of well-being.
17. The foundation of Yoga is self-control.
18. Aspire. Sit alone. Meditate. Be vigilant.
19. Inertia is your worst enemy.
20. Intolerance is the bane of religion.
21. Unselfishness and inward peace are the distinct features of self-culture.
Twenty Sweetest Drops From “Ambrosia”
1. Brahman is Immortal Wisdom, Eternal Beauty, Infinite Consciousness and Everlasting Peace.
2. The Pure Eternal Atman is Sareera Traya Vilakshana, Panchakosha Vyatirikta and Avastha Trayarahita.
3. The language of Brahman is silence. His law is harmony. His nature is abiding peace.
4. Love generates knowledge and knowledge leads one to love.
5. Behind the variety and plurality of objects there is an all-embracing unity.
6. Man is a subject and not an object. He is a seer.
7. Truth, Love, and Purity—these three constitute Divine Life.
8. God plus desire is man. Man minus desire is God.
9. Discrimination and purity are the hubs in which the axle of Truth is fixed.
10. Truthfulness and love are the wings which raise us to God.
11. There is no virtue higher than Truth.
12. Kanchana, Kamini and Kirthi—these three K’s are the enemies of wisdom. Embrace poverty, observe chastity, and practise humility; and you can be free from them.
13. A Jivanmukta is a Mahakarta, a Jivanmukta is a Maha Bhokta.
14. The causes of rebirth are desire and ignorance.
15. A Jivanmukta is always in Samadhi even during all sorts of action.
16. Hook the fish of desire by abstinence. Remove the darkness of ignorance by the light of knowledge.
17. Samadhi is the highest bliss. It is the experience of the light of the Absolute and the end of all relative existence.
18. ‘OM’ is a guide for the knowledge of the Self and a key to unlock the door of Moksha.
19. Liberation is not merely the absence of all misery. It is a state of Bliss.
20. Moksha is the realisation of the non-dualistic, pure consciousness. It is a state of desirelessness.
Sparks Of Intuition
1. God is the Oasis in the desert of mundane Life.
2. Sweetness of life is service of humanity. The Pivot of Life is meditation on God.
3. Faith is the Eye of Wisdom.
4. Devotion opens that Eye of Wisdom.
5. The Joy of Selfless Service is the greatest Joy.
6. He who sows generosity reaps Love Divine.
7. Perfect Love is perfect Harmlessness.
8. The End should be right and means should also be right.
9. Self-control is the link with the happiness of Self.
10. There is no hope of salvation without annihilation of Egoism.
11. Lose thyself and know thy Self.
12. Silence of the mind is real Mouna or Silence.
13. Learn to forget the world. Learn to remember God always.
Cheer Up, O Friend!
1. Why do you weep, O Friend! You have no death. Why do you weep? You are bodiless and mindless. You are free from sorrow, pain, and delusion. You are Pure Consciousness, O friend!
2. There is neither old age nor death for you; Friend! why do you weep? Assert, ‘I am the Wisdom, Immortal, the Homogeneous Essence, all-pervading like the Sky’.
3. You are neither born nor dead. You are the pure attributeless Brahman. How can there be bondage and liberation for you, O Child!
4. O Friend! why do you weep? Drink the nectar of Immortality. Become the Self of the self.
5. Know the One Pure Consciousness which is without thought and mind. Know the One Consciousness which is without senses, Prana and intellect.
6. The Cause (Pure Consciousness) pervades the effect. The effect does not pervade the Cause. The effect is unreal. Therefore take hold of the Cause, the Real.
7. Commune with the indweller (God) through meditation and heartfelt prayer. Lay bare the troubles of your heart to Him. He will instil in you spiritual strength and Wisdom.
8. Meditation gives comfort, strength, peace, poise, success and develops your personality. Therefore meditate regularly.
9. By worrying all your energies are wasted. No useful purpose is served thereby. So give up all worries. Pray to God. All worries will end.
10. He who is desireless, self-controlled, passionless, tranquil and steady attains Self-realisation.
11. You are Pure and Bodiless. You have no mind. You are the Immortal, all-pervading Atman, the Supreme Truth. Assert This. Feel This. Realise this and be free, O Friend!